The Ruins of St Paul refer to the ensemble composed by the façade and stairway of the old church of Mater Dei, built between 1602-1640, and by the ruins of the old St. Paul’s College, located next to the church, and both part of a religious complex destroyed in a fire in 1835. As a whole, the ruins are a testimony of what was the first western-style institution of university level in the Far East and, together with Mount Fortress, they are examples of constructions derived from collaborative efforts between the Portuguese and the Jesuits, constituting what could be considered the so-called “Acropolis” of Macao.
Beyond the façade, the Ruins of St. Paul further include the remains of the old Church of Mater Dei. During the period from 1990 to 1996, the government conducted a series of archeological works in this area, including the recovery of objects and the study of the church's inner organization; a number of archaeologists, historians and museologists participated in the project, aiming to rehabilitate the space of the Church of Mater Dei. The project led to the inclusion of a structural steel observatory as high as the initial choir and to the creation of a Museum of Sacred Art and a Crypt in the old location of the main altar of the church. These facilities were inaugurated on the 23rd of October, 1996.
For more information about the Museum of Sacred Art and the Crypt, please see the following link：
Guided Tours Services：
In order to ensure an undisturbed environment for visitors, filming or photographing activities must request prior authorization from the Cultural Affairs Bureau, at least 20 days prior to the date of the activities, except for events related to public commemorations. For this purpose, please fill out the following form: http://www.icm.gov.mo/en/service/FilmLicense/default.aspx
Address: Ruins of St. Paul
Façade of the Church of Mater Dei: 24 hours
Sacred Art Museum and Crypt
09:00am-6:00pm (No admission after 5:30)
Closed on Tuesdays, from 2pm onwards. Open on the remaining days of the week, including on public holidays
Visitor capacity: The Sacred Art Museum and Crypt can accommodate a maximum of 20 visitors at any one time.
Ruins of St Paul
09:00-18:00 (No admission after 5:30pm)
Please call (853) 8399 6699 during office hours